Shahid Afridi tampering ball : Video

Sunday, January 31, 2010
Shahid Afridi tampering ball : Video
Video of Shahid Afridi tampering with cricket ball, he was blatantly chewing on the ball

Slapped with a two-match ban for ball tampering in the final ODI in Perth, Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi on Sunday apologised and said he would never commit the mistake again.

“I’m ashamed of myself. I shouldn’t have done such an act. It happened in the heat of the moment. I apologise for my mistake,” Afridi said.

Afridi was banned for two Twenty20 Internationals after pleading guilty to a ball-tampering charge during the fifth ODI against Australia by Match Referee Ranjan Madugalle.

Afridi, who led Pakistan in the final ODI in place of the unfit Mohammad Yousuf, was caught on camera chewing on one side of the ball while walking to the run up with bowler Mohammad Asif.

“It was a close match and Pakistan had not won any match. We needed a win and I just wanted to help the fast bowlers. I did it on that spur of moment. I have been banned now and I have learnt my lessons. I will ensure it doesn’t happen again,” Afridi said.

In 2005, Afridi was banned for twisting his spikes and trying to change condition of pitch during a Test match in Faisalabad against England.